If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Sunday, August 5, 2012

Trying Again, and Again, and Again

Ran 7 days ago.  That run was quite pleasant, but it was not pleasant the next day or the day after.  As a result I have not run since last Sunday.  Over the course of those days I also stopped doing core and any of the stretching  had been doing, with the exception of some stretching for my hips in a continuing effort to try and move toward at least an appropriate half lotus if not one day full meditation position.

I almost went out the door yesterday but at the last second decided it was better to rest another day and see what happened over the course of Sunday.  I slept in and then watched the womens' marathon for the Olympics.  What a miserable course!  It isn't polite, but there seem to be a lot better ways to get in 42 km in London than a 2.2 loop and then 3 8 mile loops with turn around of all things.  Well, ....

Over the last week I've had the opportunity to really work with impermanence on the metro meditations and in my reading.  While not extolling the virtues of anything, all I can say it is pleasant for me.

Last night, however, I failed in any sort of ability to maintain an even view of things.  The 10,000 km mens race in London was really just amazing to watch.  Not only that I saw the entire thing since I am watching the games on an HDMI connection from Eurosport Player to my television.

The way the race unfolded and the way the Africans had not planned for what can only be described as a change toward African training methods by the Salazar group was fun to watch.  The build up to the last 400 was special.  so much work by so many people and so crammed together with 400 to go.

The final 200 was something to watch, both Farah and Rupp seemed to explode out of the turn like they had run in this very pain this very 100 1,000 times before Saturday night.  Made want to put on shoes and run.

And so I did today.  I managed to talk myself out of something stupid and ran over to the track. Before starting I settled the breath and followed it through the majority of the run.  I did however monitor the back and found that it didn't hurt at all, but my left hip did.  In considering this phenomena I moved toward whether it was my pain or just pain.  I got there in the end.  I ran at Start Stadium (the match of death stadium), there an back plus 3 miles on the track for a 7.3 km total. 

Some light stretching tonight.  and tomorrow hopefully will be able to do a second day of something light easy and not very long tomorrow.  If I can't I'll try again the next day and the day after.

No comments:

Post a Comment