If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Turtles and Big Hills

Still Tuesday here in Toccoa.  I ran 12k today and yesterday. 

Yesterday's run was very good.  Worked out a route through Google Earth that was 12 k.  It is an out and back but still has both of the absolutely brutal hills on it.  Both hills have a climb of well over 200 ft in about, one in 400 meters, the other is a double climb 200 then 200.  I set a goal of trying to run up both of them by the end of the week on Saturday before we drive back to Tallahassee.

Monday that goal of course was not achieved.  The interesting thing about running here is it is certainly showing me what patience is about.  Unlike most hills these are real hills on the edge of mountain range and some patience and training is needed before trying to go up them at all quickly.   The other thing is that I am not running very hard because the hills are of course taking a lot out of me. 

On the way back I was headed up a hill yesterday and met a turtle.  It was about 1/2 way across the road when I first saw him and was about foot farther along by the time I got up to him.  I decided to stop, pick him up and move him to the grass in the direction he seemed to be headed.  He was struggling and I was struggling, it seemed like the polite thing to do.

Moments later a huge truck came by at about 60 mph (100km/hr) so I feel okay about the whole thing.

Tuesday's run was in the late afternoon, about 5 p.m.  We played golf this morning, shot an 80 so that was okay, on a mountain course over in  Clayton, GA.  Got back around 3pm, in time for a nice nap :)

The afternoon run was almost the same as the Monday run.  The exception being there was no turtle and I ran farther up both hills/cliffs/mountains than I did no Monday.  As a result, my total time was a bit less, but not by much. 

My right leg has some issues in various places but nothing that prevents running or changes my mechanics.  Jury is still out on these Saucony Kinvaras.

I enjoyed the turtle, it seemed like a nice turtle.

No comments:

Post a Comment