If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Saturday, June 23, 2012

Knowing when to Relax

It's Friday evening here.  Tomorrow we get back on the road and make the long trip back to Tallahassee.  Traveling screws with your running, you've got to really make time for it.

Wednesday I didn't run because we all went down to Atlanta to visit the Georgia Aquarium, the Jimmy Carter Library and the MLK Museum area.  We also had dinner down there.  We left about 8:00 a.m. and got home about 9:00 p.m.  So, no run.

Thursday morning I added a mile to the 12k and ran 15k in the morning.  Even more hills.  The pace wasn't fast, bu the running was very interesting.  Most of the run was contemplating how to stay patient and how do you stay patient in an ultra if the hills just never stop.  I tried to look back on the Conemarra experience and think about those hills.  I have to say that again, not knowing the course was a real detriment and not knowing that there are hills in Ultras, lots of them, is important. Really something to consider.  Another very important thing to consider is that you have got to be patient, you can't just blast away, this is something I have always struggled with and this week in these hills has been very helpful for that I think.

Friday I woke up exhausted discovering that the 15k on those hills really took it out of me.  There is a treadmill so I thought I would do that.  Funny how your mind makes any excuse it can to get out of pain.  In fact, the 15k on the hills wasn't painful, it required patience, but I let my mind talk me out of doing it.  We went to Toccoa Falls, took a nap when I came back, and then I got on the treadmill.  My intention was to do 15k. Ha.

As we all know, I can't stand treadmills, I just can't deal with it, talk about not having mind discipline.  I managed to do 10k, some of it very quick.  the last Mile was in 6:40 or quicker.  At least this is a positive, I know that I am getting more leg speed and strength.  This is a nice treadmill, but still, I really like being out and doing it, not staring at a TV or a wall.

Tomorrow, I hope to run in the evening when we get back.

Impermanence, unsatisfactoriness and change.  The essence of running I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment