If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Sunday, June 17, 2012

Running and Racing? Really? Coincidence?

The time says 3:13 a.m. 17.06.12 on my computer.  Its actually 8:15 p.m. in Toccoa, Georgia, USA on 16.06.12. 

Thursdays run was good stuff.  15k, making it 15k Wednesday and Thursday.  Nice and easy on the roads, no trails, the rain has been really heavy and that makes those trails a little ugly.  I've been feeling a bit of a tinge in the the right soleus muscle.  It was actually there when I left Kyiv.  But feels a little more present right now.

I didn't run Friday because I wanted to run the Watermelon Run 5k in Monticello, FL on Saturday and I wanted to try and run pretty hard to test where I was in terms of strength, fitness, etc.  Over the last week I've done intervals, run 3 15k's and the others were 12k.  So, all in all, a Friday off wouldn't kill me.

The Monticello Melon run 5k has been in business a long time.  The first running was 34 years ago.  I've run it twice.  This being the second time.  In 1993 I ran this in 16:23 on a very different course.  The course I remember did not have the hills that this one did.  This course finished with about 400 m uphill and three good lumps in the last mile and one in the first mile.  The second mile was fairly flat.

This years 34th Annual had 379 participants.  I ran 20:49 by my watch and finished 34th.  Strange huh? 

This is another weird coincidence.  In the Dublin Marathon in 1992 I ran 2:45 and finished 99th out of 3,000+.  Then, at Conemarra I finished 99th.  Coincidence, or just random.  I think most people with my philosophy would just go with random.

So the run was fine.  I had good focus, stayed strong and felt like I was running hard.  I had no lost focus and I followed the breath the whole way so I really took a lot of positive things from running this hard. 

On the down side I am FAT!! I just feel fat in terms being able to generate good speed and feeling light on my feet.  I really have to work on this.  I keep thinking I can do it and I just don't seem to be losing any weight.  But I will just return without blame and keep working toward that. 

The soleus is a little more sore than I would like but that is okay.

So I ran hard three times this week without damage.  Now we have moved on to Toccoa George in the Lake Hartwell area for the next week so hopefully I can get some nice easy mileage in this area.  No running hard this week.  Just running.

Running and Racing, nice.  Real.  But a lot of coincidences don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment