If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Saturday, May 26, 2012

No-Self, or, stop thinking and just run

All in all a pretty good week.  I ran 6 days out of 7, 12 km each day.  Something strange happened this week.  I ran Sunday, got out the door nicely and wrote about that.

On Monday I ran about the exact same time but ran the route backwards.  There was a lot of work on foot steps, easy, light etc.  Experienced a bit of tightness as well, and my feet hurt like hell when it was over.

On Tuesday, I got home from work and my brain said run!  I ran harder than I have run in several months.  It was tiring and not at all smooth but it required that I actually run and focus on just step after step.  Not how big the step where to step how to step easy light smooth.  In the end I was really tired but happy with the run but it was a lot of work.

On Wednesday I just tried to put one foot after the other, i was dehydrated and very tired.  it was a boring run but all I did was run.

Thursday, I couldn't do it, just exhausted, i was however happy that I went four days in a row without wimping out.  Very tired and very dehydrated. 

and then Friday came.  I put on the shoes went out the door and ran.  But there was no steps, small steps no upright worrying about posture, nothing about 2 steps and 3 steps, I began to run.  It began to just be running, the focus was just counting my breath, not form, posture, etc.  I just ran, it was truly easy, light and smooth.

Saturday, was the same thing.  I thought about it and I think (dangerous word) too much thinking, not enough enjoying. 

For the first time in months and months I had to quick runs, one I planned, the other I did not.

Working on no self, reading on it, working on it.  Stop thinking, stop attaching, just run.

No comments:

Post a Comment