If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Friday, April 13, 2012

Your mind is evil

I ran 15k on Thursday and 12k today.  The Thursday run was interesting for what it was.  It started out fairly dead just working on easy and light.  I had pretty much decided that it would just be a get around junk mile day because I really needed to find out how much damaged had been done from the intervals.

Based on the training I've been doing over the past three years I really felt that running that hard on Wednesday would surely lead to some type of pain that I wouldn't be able to tolerate and would need to take a day off.  Why you ask?  Because I've spend that last 5 years thinking I'm a diabetic and ex seriously injured person and I've had injury after injury after injury from various things.

And,.... nothing, I actually ran beautifully, easy  and light and pretty relaxed.  No pain, some dead legs to start but just an all in all very good run.  What's changed?  Well I think Conemarra has changed everything.  The training for that showed me that I was really giving it excuses that really weren't there.

But the speed work, shouldn't there have been pain the next day?  Why should there have been, because there was in the past, or because the pain you associate with the past should realize that day?  But hasn't my mind been telling me all this time, you can't do it, the diabetes gets in the way, you've got this horrible foot injury from 1994 you can't do it.

Obviously I can run 64 km without pain, recover from it nicely in 6 days and get right back at it. 

Secondly, speed work is good for you and it makes your body remember things that it could do in the past and all these excuses are just that, excuses.

Your mind is evil

By the way, todays morning run was wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Mark, you are awesome! When I go out running now, if I even catch myself starting to listen to the negative, whingy thoughts, I will think of you, and be inspired.

    Hey! You know, Ireland is magic! :-)

    ReplyDelete