If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mind and Muscle Memory

One of the things I learned from Conemarra is that I need to do something about leg turnover and pacing.  Also, I think that I've been reading some good articles on iRunFar that shed some light on different ways to do things.  One thing is, every body seems to have an idea and the almost no one has it down.  What works for one may not work for another.

With that in mind, I woke up this morning really tired.  I didn't run, but since I got off earlier today, I decided to do run in the evening. I also decided I need some speed work.  I chose to run over to the track and do real live speed work. 

Now, I haven't done speed work for real since 1994.  So I had no idea, and of course my expectations were trying to be kept in check.  I chose to do 400's.  I ended up doing 8 x 400. 

Interestingly, I was also trying to do, easy light smooth.  It doesn't work in speed work.  The first 400 was 1:58.  1:58!  are you kidding me?  I've run a 14:49 5k in my life.  Oh by the way, my body had no clue what was going on, curves - straights?  what the hell is all of this.  Next one 1:55!  Uh, are you that old that you will never run fast again in your life?  Still nothing in response, but I was certainly lose.  I was taking 200m jogs between each.  1:50 for the third one, still nothing, and really my brain couldn't figure out the cadence, how to work the curves, nothing.

I decided to lose the easy light thing and just go for it.  Next one was 1:38 and wasn't as bad as I thought but clearly my muscles and mind had forgotten how to do this speed work.  I did it again, 1:40, started to remember how to work a curve and a last straight away.  Next one 1:39, at least consistent, beginning to feel better with each one.  Pushed some more, 1:37.  Start to breath heavy, this I remember, but also starting to see the track like your supposed to in speed work, where you want to be on the track at certain times, when you should push etc.

Ran the last one not all out but going hard.  1:32.  Now that is progress, muscles now remembering what speed feels like.  Remembering why speed work is good. 

Slow warm down and think about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment