If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Good progress

-19 C to start the day.  Woke around 10 a.m. started my run today at about 11:20 a.m.  The word for the day was patience.  I learned a great deal out there today.  My goal was to complete the run but also to keep the clock going at all times.  The other goal was to run the correct route.  I did.

The first 10k were into a slight wind and along Permohy Prospekt.  I stopped for water at about 6.5 miles and speed walked until I had finished the water and started up again.  The next 4 miles went quicker than I remember last time.  In general I felt pretty good but kept reminding myself to be patient and not expect it all to happen quickly.  I made the turn in the woods and headed back toward the city.  This was weird after a bit.  It was a good piece of work but about two miles down the road the police tried to stop me but I kept running.  I'm not sure if it was because I was running or if I was running on the road.  Anyway, they didn't stop me and about a mile down the road they stopped a car and said hello so it didn't turn out to be too bad.

I didn't take any water on these two sections so when I was back in the city I stopped for water and tested my sugar, which was 65, I took one GU and water while I was speed walking, I wasn't walking while testing, but I did keep the watch going.  The whole thing, testing, water, GU, drinking all the water while speed walking took about 4 minutes.  That was about 25 km in.

It took a bit to get going with any sort of smoothness this time, but eventually I did get going nicely again.  No idea of the pace but at least it felt good.  I made the turn on the road that I made the mistake on before and ran on the other side of the road from last time.  I thought I had it right but in fact I almost missed the turn this time, luckily I looked over the bridge and spotted Petrivka market so I knew I was supposed to be on the other side of the road.

On Moskovsky Prospekt it was really unpleasant, a lot of traffic and it was moving very quickly.  I tried to keep my head down and just try to get to the next turn.  I managed to do so and headed toward Podil.  Here I learned some things.  I kept expecting to the see the bridge and found myself wishing for it and worked with my mind to stay in the moment and be patient.  That seemed to work, I really had to focus on this for the last 8 km.

Here I saw an incredible sight.  There must have been 50 people ice fishing on the river.  They were everywhere with there holes and poles.  Just incredible to see.  I wasn't the only one out there in the cold doing something they liked to do.

Finally got to Podil and headed toward the Kyivski Descent.  Focused hard on the hill and went straight up and through Kyrshchatyk and up the hill of Shevchenko.  This was a pretty good piece of timing because with the 20k from yesterday this would be the hill set for Connamara as well.   I felt like I was really starting to get tired.  Going down the hill I started to lose a bit of form and was pretty ragged.  I turned left and headed for home with about 800 meters to go.  Over and over, stay patient.

Things learned, patience, of course.  Secondly, it is okay to take water and GU and speed walk.  Finally, over two days I got pretty much the whole race in.  Blood sugar after run was 60, need to monitor all week to see where that goes from day to day.

Really good progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment