If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Saturday, January 21, 2012

Patience, Patience, Patience

Woke to some real snow coming down.  Interestingly my attitude to that was more of, it is what it is.  I have no treadmill to work with as an excuse so that set the tone for what turned in to a very good run.  Ran about 11:00 a.m.  By then it was above 0 C but still snow. 

My mind set was run slow, good foot work and keep moving forward.  However, the streets, while very wet, were in good shape and surprisingly several sidewalks had been cleared.  Still there were about 2 km of very bad footing.  I changed the steps to a more outward (like wearing snow shoes) step in one of them and started to laugh out loud while doing, I thought I might look like a gorilla running down the street to someone in a car.

In the second area of bad footing, I felt myself get very tight in the shoulders and I relaxed and really just went through things nicely.  That was a very enlightening 2 minutes; taught me a great deal. I hope I can manage to remember that experience in the coming months.

The running turned out to be quite good and I finished up nicely.  Again, showing the patience and positiveness keep things going nicely.

This has been my best mileage week in years.  Very happy with 7 straight 15k days in this weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment