If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Saturday, January 14, 2012

First Snow? Sort of

Ran about midday today.  Usual 12k outdoor route.  We had snow overnight, but nothing much, when I woke it was still on the ground, a light covering, but within 90 minutes it had melted off. Once I stepped out for my run the snow had begun again.  It started light but got heavy but only for about 5 minutes, while I was going up a hill.  I thought it was going to stick for a bit and began to think about how my long run tomorrow might be if it was snow covered.

By mid run it was clearly not going to stick around.  It turned out to be just snow but not anything that stuck on the ground.  I spent the run working on posture and small steps whenever I could.  The overall run seemed to be its usual speed but in fact it was quicker than usual.  I chalk that up to running in the day time.

Today's weird running adventure:  political protest.  Part of my loop for almost all my runs is on Dehtyariv'ska St. and is either up hill or downhill depending on which way I go.  This is near the end stop for bus 31 or the Lukyaniwska metro stop.  It also happens to be where the government kept former prime minster Yulia Tymoshenko for about 4 months.  In front of the jail were protesters of varying numbers for the whole time.

Well, today, it was snowing and there were police everywhere as I headed toward the prison so I was pretty sure someone was making some noise.  I began to hear loudspeaker "speak" as I went by.  I looked to my left by the jail and there was a man in front of a microphone doing his Hyde Park Speakers Corner gig with about 5 people watching, 4 of whom were photographers.  Unfortunately, to my right were three police officers screaming at me to run on the sidewalk not on the street, I think one might have been telling me to put some long pants on (I do get some strange looks from people in winter here).  I just kept running.

Day time runs are always much more fluid than the night time runs in Kyiv.  I think it is primarily because it is easier to see where you are going and steps are easier to take so therefore it is not as ragged.  I've read on many sites that night running is always slower for what would seem to be obvious reasons (steps, confidence).

As I've said Kyiv's roads and sidewalks are a lot like trail running except it is all concrete and pavement, still a positive would be that it does require that you always work on your foot work.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment