If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Friday, January 13, 2012

Daytime treadmill but with positives

I managed to get 12k on the treadmill during the middle of the day.  That in itself is not particularly interesting.  More interesting was the handling of the various things that came up during the run.  I've mentioned in the past I like to listen to music during the treadmill runs and that I don't handle the machine well at all.

First and foremost, the music didn't work well at all; in the past I would have not handled this well and come up with some kind of reason to bale out on the run.  I worked through it and I think some of the work with following the breath and mindfulness were very useful for this. 

The other point is that I am not exactly running quickly, or what I used to call quick.  Part of my approach to this preparation is about patience and I was pleased that patience was more prevalent today given the "non-standard" way the run played out.  I like things to be without hiccups and this had hiccups and I worked through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment