If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Thursday, January 12, 2012

3 days post long run

Monday, as we all recall :) was my long run of 30k.  I've managed to run every day since then so that is a positive.  Tuesday was on the treadmill.  It got really cold very quickly that day so I went for 12k on the treadmill with the music off my Vkontake page.  Vkontakte is the Russian/Ukrainian version of Facebook without the ridiculous amount of people talking to me since I'm American and no body knows me but my students and my co-workers.  But you can download music and have a music page and that is what I use for the treadmill.

I have never had much success with a treadmill.  I always feel I'm having to work a lot harder at it than when I am outside on the roads.  I've read differing opinions on this on the web.  Some people think its easier, others think it isn't. For me there is a marked increase in effort to run on the treadmill.  As a result, I've managed to develop a dislike for those workouts.  However, in graceful fashion I rationalized that the treadmill would allow for consistent slow pace for recovery from Monday's long effort.  It did.  Of course the positive is that and the fact that I didn't have to run in the dark on the streets/sidewalks.

Ah, but I did Wednesday and Thursday.  Both 12k runs had all the fun and adventure of Kyiv that you can ask for.  Bad sidewalks, bad roads, wild dogs chasing you and lots of dark with no street lights working.  Actually the Wednesday run wasn't bad, but Thursday was a struggle and I really never felt comfortable on the entire run.

We still don't have any snow on the ground here, but now you see some patches of ice where there was rain and then it got cold.  Important to stay focused on those, last year I did a serious ice slam and cut my chin up real good on the pavement/concrete.

Along with wild dogs chasing me toward the end of the run I also saw a drunk guy get thrown out of a car by his friends on an extremely busy road near Shulavska Metro.  Incredibly dangerous because 1) they just stopped the car in traffic and threw him out; and 2) they threw him out in to the middle of the street, not the curb.  Unfortunately, I couldn't help much, I yelled to get out of the street, but my Russian is not great.  I stopped to make sure he made it to the side of the road then kept running.  Kyiv is a big city, there is not a lot of helping your fellow man here just like in most very large cities.

Anyway, Wednesday was weird and today I felt like I hit every pot hole, crack, bump, gash, uneven spot on the run.  Just one of those runs.  What is the title of that book from iRunFar?  "Relentless Forward Progress"  that is all I can work on with runs like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment