If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Thursday, July 12, 2012

Rain and Impermanence

Didn't run yesterday.  Quite tired actually, wondered whether that was because of three days in row, not really, or that I managed to talk myself out of it.  More likely.  12km today.  It rained.  Really nice.  The first rain run in Kyiv in quite a long time.

Two interest arising phenomena today.  Rain cleans Kyiv, a good hard rain moves the dirt and the grime of 4.5 million people off the streets and gives it a shine.  This observation came to me at about 4 km today and I considered the concept of impermanence and dirt for about a kilometer.  The other was why didn't I run yesterday, in reviewing why I can come up with:  1.  it will hurt, it hurt the day before (but it didn't really), besides that isn't the same person as today is it?  2.  I'm tired, I've been on the metro and training all day (I might can accept this) 3.  My schedule was thrown off by other things (this is where the meditation and running came in)  clinging to the schedule really doesn't lead to anything good.

A good hard run, a different person will be running tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment