If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Saturday, June 9, 2012

Nature, cameras and computers

Well, it is actually 8:00 p.m. on Friday, my computer says 3:03 a.m. Saturday, so probably the blog will say Saturday.  I never change the time on my computer when I travel.  Maybe so I have a bit of a connection with Kyiv at all times.  That seems weird doesn't it?

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were all very good 12k workouts on the trail.  I've enjoyed the trail much more this year for a variety of reasons.  First, I've quit worrying about the workout.  Second, I've gone in different directions each day, and third, I'm in mildly okay shape to do 12k in the heat of Tallahassee.

I still feel fat :(.  what a drama.  Impermanent, unsatisfactory and changing, yet, I still feel Fat.

Yesterday I was about 3/4 of the way through the run and had just come up one of the larger hills on the trail and was doing a little brain recovery and right there on the trail was a deer.  Now deer are not the most intimidating animals I've ever met, but never take an animal for granted I say, I slowed a bit and moved to one side of the trail.  He/she looked at me for a bit, put his/her head down one last time and let me get to within about 10 meters and then bounded away.  Deer are amazingly agile animals and cool to watch. 

Today was even trippier.  Same trail, going the other way, but only about 40% through the run and it was really quiet.  Just me, my steps, leaves and some wind.  Then a big smack to the right of me that turned my head quickly.

Looking at me was a black bear about 50m away.  He was working a dead tree for something.  I stopped dead (still the runner, turned off the watch).  He looked at me, I looked at him.  Now bears scare the crap out of me, all I know is they are strong as hell and can be very quick.  However, I think this guy/girl was just as freaked out as me.  We looked at each other for about 5 seconds, he snorted at me, turned and jumped over the log and ran away.  Trippy.

I ran on and considered that one and of course being the weirdo I am "if I only had a camera."

No comments:

Post a Comment