If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Worst Streets Ever

I steal the title today from the Simpsons when comic book guy ended an episode by saying "Worse Episode Ever."  Our streets are a complete disaster, really problematic.  Maybe I am making too much of it, but really it is getting difficult to find even pavement or concrete anywhere; there are pot holes, huge holes, moonscapes everywhere.  Very frustrating.

I tried out the new shoes today for 10km at mid morning.  An easy run at almost race pace, no hard work involved at all.  The feet still hurt from the bumps in the road but the shoes are nice.  The minimal drop does make you run more toward the forefoot.  The shoe is very responsive to movement and the fore foot padding seems adequate.  I would not say it is a trail shoe as my work in the sand/dirt of the gutters did not have much traction to it. 

In terms of how I am feeling, pretty good.  I feel the relaxation in my muscles as compared to exhaustion; could it be because I know I will only go 10km or is the taper doing what it is supposed to do?

Worst streets ever, worse than last year and it doesn't look good for the city fixing them.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mark,

    You mentioned the Prefontaine Classic in your home town. That's so odd. I've always wanted to attend the Prefontaine Memorial run in Coos Bay Oregon. Although it's about 5K, I hear the run itself is a tough one. I'll bet, since it was one of Pre's old running routes.

    Since you have such problems with shoes and your feet, (as do I) I wanted to know what you thought of trial shoes for other surfaces? For example, I run on concrete. Fortune, I don't have too many pot holes to contend with. I wanted a little extra support and I tried trail shoes, but I felt like I had NO support AT ALL!

    I was wondering if that is just me and my weird feet?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bree:

      For me personally I have never tried trail shoes on roads for any length of time. I know that good trail shoes tend to have protection, or plates, that keep you from hurting yourself on rocks etc so maybe not the best. I've never had much luck with any of the trail shoes on our surfaces. On the other hand I thought I might recommend New Balance. Their product line is tremendous and they seem to have a shoe for all of us if you can spend enough time looking.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip, Mark!
      Hope your weekend is productive.
      Our weather is record setting warm. I wake at 5AM and my body is itching to run. I'm not quite used to that! But, it's nice.

      Delete