If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Sunday, February 19, 2012

Setbacks? Positives? Cartoons?

Only 15k today.  Weather was -7C at the end.  Getting more pleasant every run.  Time/effort/footwork all quite solid.  Why not 25k?  I can probably provide 20 excuses.  None make up for no 25k.  Is that a setback?  I tend to think yes, but then think no.  Why?  I did run 15k at what I perceived to be at about 75% effort at a pace that I want to run Connamara at.  From the perspective of status, the run informed my fitness.  Certainly the more long runs there are the better, but I've done some reading that I would agree with (an excuse?) that you need to test what the pace feels like on these under 50 mile ultras. 

Blood sugar was 266 to start, I took 2U of Humulog.  At the finish blood sugar was 202.  I have to say that my philosophy on blood sugar and exercise is probably a lot like everyone else who is a type 1 diabetic and gets a lot of exercise.  Every day is different and what doctors say and what you can do are two very disparate things.  I can say that I actually get most best workouts in at the 225 to 175 range.  Of course you doctor will tell you that blood sugar should be around 85-100 all the time.  Unless you are on a pump, and the Veterans' Administration is not the most progressive care giver, then that is pretty tough if you are running a lot of mileage or what ever exercise you might be into.  I say type 1 diabetes is a daily experiment of one where the data is compiled over time and hopefully is useful when you need it most.

Today I saw a truly bizarre thing.  At around 10k I made the turn on to Oranzhereina St.and in the distance I could see this huge wide column of steam that was spreading out over the road and the trees.  It was about 300 meters in front of me.  I was running a slight upgrade and you couldn't see anything on the other side of this column of steam.  Suddenly a car came through from the other side like something from Stargate and then a car passed me and went into the steam, I assume it came out the other side.  Once I got within about 50 meters I saw to KyivEnergo trucks and the usual five or ten men about age 55 standing nearby.  At this point is when I saw the craziest thing.  The steam was the result of a man hole cover they had taken off the street and there was so much leaking heat from the poor infrastructure that the steam was literally being pushed out of this pipe like a fire ball due to the pressure inside.  Incredible.  The loss of heat and cost of the lost heat, in just this one area must be tremendous.  I saw a photo essay on Kyiv Post that showed this very thing happening all over the city. (loss of heat through poor infrastructure, not the cartoon fireball I witnessed today).

After that I looked at every man hole cover I ran over, each one of them had a tiny stream of steam coming out the little vent where they put the crow bar in to lift them up.

I guess can be like a cartoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment