If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ice melts!

Well, it happened...  Over the last few days I have watched Euronews and seen picture after picture of the freeze that came over western Europe melt away.  In some places the areas went from -20C to +10C in one day.  One quick scientific discovery to share with all of you, Ice Melts; and, when it does, the rivers just appear out of no where, first they start as little streams of water, then they become torrents of water going anywhere that they want to.

Today we had our first day above 0C since the horrible freeze.  After taking yesterday off I couldn't resist the opportunity to run in shorts for the first time in well over 45 days!  I tried a bit of an experiment.  I went for non road, walking paths only to test out how much snow is gone off the paths.  Turns out a good portion of these paths are now runnable.  Unfortunately, well over a kilometer of them are not.  This kilometer was broken up over the 15k but still, it slowed the pace considerably.  Also, because the paths are runnable it also made for very technical "trail" running. 

A good work out.  Blood sugar 100 to start, Cola and honey, 60 at the finish.  Unfortunately it was a dropping 60, on my walk back to the office I had to stop for some quick carbs, but it passed.

Really great to be in compression shorts and running shorts, felt very free and loose.  I thought for some time about how good a shape I was in during this run.  I have no doubt I can finish Connamara, that isn't the issue, the issue is dangerously becoming how fast.  That, in the end, will come down to how much I want to hurt.  Don't know yet.  I've been able to go deep in the past, but that was 20 years ago and early in my diabetes days.  I've run 2:49 for a marathon with Type 1 Diabetes, I will never do that again but I wondered today if I could go 3:10 if I really worked at it.

Thinking too far ahead.  Oh yeah Ice Melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment