If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Monday, August 13, 2012

Rain, good rain

It rained hard and long in Kyiv today.  At the time of writing it is done, but it is supposed to on and off for the next three days.  As you've read, we could use it.  So we got it, but like all things it has its unsatisfactory side.  In this instance it is roads breaking apart, sidewalks breaking apart, car accident, the usual things that happen when change is about.

Got in a nice 10k again.  Not as quick, but just as smooth as yesterday.  I kept stepping off the gas because I kept feeling random twinges in my back.  Still I seem to have come through unscathed, though who knows about tomorrow.

Mindfulness was appropriate, though today was of course not like yesterday, as strange thoughts came flying in, I found myself thinking about a trial I did 8 years ago at one point during the run.  Strange.  I think it came in there because I was thinking about the lack of tort law in Ukraine which was the result of seeing two cars attached to each other in a nice kiss involving about 5,000 UAH worth of personal property damage.

Anyway, as you can see, not nearly as mindful as yesterday, but still working with it.  This is five days in a row.  Slowly but surely.

I hope it rains tomorrow, a good rain run, you can't beat it with a stick, but if it doesn't, I've got no control over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment