If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Saturday, February 4, 2012

Requiring some patience

-15 C and snowing since yesterday.  I didn't run yesterday because it was still -20C but it has warmed some, and with the snow it feels warmer.  Unfortunately, it is really messy out there.

Started my day by moving flats.  Had to move the broken treadmill, something that was very unexpected, down three flights of stairs and on to a truck.  I have some low back tightness this evening as I write in my new flat.  I also ran 15k from the new flat, I had already google earth'd the routes.  More on that in a bit.

We've had about 15 cm so far, about 4 inches I think, no roads cleaned, no sidewalks cleaned, it was tough out there.  The weather wasn't the problem the footing was something else.  I fell twice today, underneath all that snow is ice from when we had the freezing temperatures.  You really had your choice, sidewalk and try and get a rhythm or streets and slip and slide on snow that had been compacted and ratted up by tires.

Lets just say it was slow, slower than ever.  But still 15km and a lot of leg work with one long hill and two steep hills.  Back to the new route, it is not good but it has a brutal hill at the very end.  I may consider trying something different.  The area I am now living in has a lot of steep slopes as it is nearer the city center and the city center has always been on top of a hill that slopes hard toward the Dnipro River.

Blood sugar was very good at the start, 131, and 261 when I finished, I expected that though, I was not generating a lot of foot speed and I had an orange and an apple before I went out.  For the entire week my body has processed synthetic insulin really well, a definite indicator of the work the 40k did on my endocrine system, I hope.

I read that blog from iRunFar.com (AJW's Taproom) thought about it most of the run today, it was a very trying piece of work out there.  Not like trail running I believe, city running.

No comments:

Post a Comment