If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Friday, January 6, 2012

Thoughts on hill running - or all that arises ceases

Got in another nice run in and around Greenwich Park today.  Googled out another run that was two laps of 6km each.  Still parts of it were in the park itself, about 3 km total of the run, but the remainder was in and around the Greenwich area which meant I still had to work with the same hill with the same drastic incline over .3 miles.  I ran that hill twice. 

As I was running it was so focused on getting up that I really didn't have time to think about my technique going up the hill.  Having reflected, it got me thinking about how some ultra enthusiasts feel you should walk all the uphills if you are just in it for the hobby of the sport.  I considered this at length and think my ego might not be able to hack it.  Today, both times up, I worked very hard on forward progress, not speed and tried to think about small steps and moving forward and controlling breathing without having completely dead legs afterward.  This is something I will need to continue to work on in preparation for Ireland as it does have a drastic 1.5 mile hill at about mile 35 of that run.

The run itself was very nice.  Another good view of the city across the Thames today.

No comments:

Post a Comment