If we really want to get rid of suffering, completely and totally, then clinging has to go. The spiritual path is never one of achievement; it is always one of letting go. The more we let go, the more there is empty and open space for us to see reality. Because what we let go of is no longer there, there is the possibility of just moving without clinging to the results of the movement. As long as we cling to the results of what we do, as long as we cling to the results of what we think, we are bound, we are hemmed in. Meditating on No-Self: A Dhamma Talk (Edited for Bodhi Leaves), by Sister Khema(1994)








Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Almost groundhog day...

I really thought today's run would be like yesterday's.  Snow everywhere, up to my ankles just being patient.  Turns out this was only partly true.  Patience was required but I spent a lot of timing running freely today.

In parts I felt very comfortable.  There is still a bit of an issue with a stone bruise on the ball of my right foot but massage might help that; giving it a try tonight.

Don't get me wrong, the city is still under a lot of snow, but the roads have gotten pretty clear and if you care to chance it you can run on them, you still can't really run on most of the sidewalks; again, like deep sand at the beach.

It was really interesting to be running at about 0 C with so much snow, it created a very heavy fog that was kind of cool to look at in combination with the trees having so much snow on them.  That is when I didn't have my eyes focused two feet down in front of me or on oncoming traffic.

Most traffic in Kyiv will make way for runners; there are three types who won't.  1.  Buses, they just don't care.  2.  Marshrutkas (these are like mini-buses) over crowded, driven by maniacs and always seem to be tilting to the left or the right; they are a real danger, when I see one coming, I find the nearest quickest escape route.  No. 3 is a little tougher to predict; this is the speeder.  Every country has them, they speed in dry weather, wet weather, snow, ice, it doesn't matter, they are just using the car as a weapon ( I admit to being guilty of this at a younger age ).  The only way to tell if they are coming is the roar of the engine. 

No groundhogs sighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment